11.07.2005

The chief end of man is to glorify God by enjoying Him forever

There was once in a man a true happiness of which now remain to him only the mark and empty trace, which he in vain tries to fill from all his surroundings, seeking from all things absent the help he does not obtain in things present. But these are all inadequate, because the infinite abyss can only be filled by an infinite and immutable object, that is to say, only God Himself.


Of late God has been pleased to keep my soul hungry almost continually, so that I have been filled with a kind of pleasing pain. When I really enjoy God, I feel my desires of Him the more insatiable and my thirsting after holiness more unquenchable. All satisfaction in this life is shot through with longing and all genuine longing has tasted the satisfying water of life.

Bless the Lord, O my soul
And forget none of His benefits;
Who pardons all your iniquities, (<-in greek means: those sins you always lean towards)
Who heals all your diseases;
Who redeems your life from the pit,
Who crowns you with lovingkindness and compassion;
Who satisfies your yearns with good things,
So that your youth is renewed like the eagle.
-Psalm 103:2-5

-go read about the rejuvenation process of the eagle, its amazing.

No comments: